Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Thousand Words a Day

On Writing

Some of you know that I have two novels in various states of completion. Both of them are contemporary romance novels. The challenge has been to sit down and write, not go back and edit. I must get through at least the first draft! This is a challenge as there is an editor in me that is tough to suppress. The goal is to write 1,000 words a day. The average length of a novel is 75,000 to 100,000 words.

As long as I don't focus too much on word count (there!how many is that now? can I go to bed now? can I read? I'm dying to finish that novel...) this should work.

One of my favorite books on writing is Stephen King's own "On Writing". I would pick it up if you're an aspiring writer. Whether you like King's writing or not (and I do) no one can deny the man is a prolific author.

No comments:

Post a Comment