Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Welcome So You Think You Can Write Winner Jennifer Hayward

Since this series on So You think You Can Write Global 2012 began we’ve had many of the contestants and finalists (some who have also gone on to publish) visit and blog about their experience with the contest. I’m happy to conclude the series with Jennifer Hayward, the grand prize winner of the contest.

Welcome Jennifer, thanks for being here today. Your debut, The Divorce Party, now available through Harlequin Presents.

What a great cover! After submitting your first chapter to SYTYCW, did you have any second thoughts or was it completely ready and polished?

Ooh, I’m not sure you ever feel totally prepared to enter a contest like SYTYCW, but I did have a couple of very awesome beta readers give me the thumbs up on my chapter before I submitted it, so I was happy with it! The full manuscript, however, was only 70 per cent done when I entered! I knew I could finish it and I felt confident about where it was going, so I went for it.

Have you entered a writing contest like this before, or any other writing contest?

Yes! I entered Mills & Boon’s New Voices in 2011 but did not place. The experience was amazing, however, as I met so many great friends and fellow writers and got some valuable feedback on my writing.

How long have you been writing?

A long time! I submitted my first manuscript to Harlequin when I was nineteen and got some nice feedback. After that my career in public relations ran away with me and I had very little time to write until I cut back on work recently. But I always kept my head in the writing game – attending RWA conferences and taking writing bootcamp courses.

What are your thoughts about the promotional aspect of the contest? Do you love social media and all its aspects?

Since I come from a marketing background, the promotional aspect was pretty comfortable for me. I really enjoy social media and connecting with other writers and readers so I found the whole process really fun!

What are you working on now?

I am finishing book three of my De Campo brothers trilogy, the first of which is The Divorce Party. It’s been so much fun to write these three sexy brothers and the woman who tame them.

Do you have any advice for someone considering entering So You Think You Can Write 2013?

Be prepared for a wonderful rollercoaster ride! Submit the story of your heart, let your voice have free rein because that will be what differentiates you and stay confident throughout the process no matter what happens. Every step is getting you where you want to go.

Where can we find you on the Web?

My website is JenniferHaywardRomance– I would love any visits

I’m also on twitter - @jenhayward

and on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment