Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Novel is Finished...now what?

An interesting thing happened on the way to finishing my first novel. I changed my mind. About a lot of "stuff" having to do with my protagonist. Still, I pressed on.

Then I finished it, and I don't like it. Oh, I DO like parts of it. But hey, if I'm not in love with the whole blessed thing, how can I expect anyone else to be? First revisions are going to be major. People weren't kidding when they warned me it's like an overhaul. I can see why.

By the time I'm done revising my protagonist, she will be unrecognizable. That is a good thing because somewhere along the way she turned into a whining "Poor me" victim instead of the strong and powerful woman I saw in my mind's eye.

Hold on, Maggie (that's my heroine's name), my red pen is coming!

1 comment:

  1. I knew you had posted something here and kept meaning to stop by and read it.
    There are a couple things that come to mind when I read this entry. 1.) Wow! you actually finished writing it! 2.) That sucks that you are having to change so much and 3.) You are so brave to go ahead and do it! Many people would just put it down and say "Well, that didn't work did it?" But you are moving on and making it better. Congrats on all of it. Hang in there and it will end up so much better than you think it is now.

    ReplyDelete