Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

How the Romance Genre Picked Me

One of my critique partners is trying to decide what genre to write - since she reads and enjoys all of them! I started thinking about how I decided to write contemporary romance so I thought I would add my two cents.

This is probably not the best reason, but honestly I decided on romance because certain authors made it look "so easy". Prolific writers like Danielle Steele, and Debbie Macomber. I read their stuff, so incredibly popular and mainstream, and I started to think "I can do that."

Now when I would read the thriller/mystery/suspense genre (Lisa Gardner among my faves, who actually began in category romance) I would think: How do they come up with this stuff? I can't do that!

So I started with what was (cough, cough) "easiest" for me. And guess what? It hasn't been easy. But for me to dip my toe in suspense/mystery when my brain is already thinking "too hard" wasn't going to work for me. So I took the easy way out (still coughing here).

Now my family is after me to write a mystery. Why? I spend most of my TV time glued to true life crime shows like Dateline, 48 Hours, Investigators, and all the stuff I can find from the I.D. channel. I absolutely love it. It drives my family nuts. But I don't think I could write it!

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand where you are coming from. Back when I was doing some writing, I chose to write romance with a bit of suspense. Never did finish it, but that's beside the point. Then I went to childrens stories, finished a couple, never did anything with them. Should pull them out and revise them again.
    My kids, especially Jaryd, tease me about what I watch on tv. One day he made a comment about watching "so many cop shows" I begged to differ, until we counted them up and there were some crazy number like 23 that I like to watch. And that isn't counting the ones that I only see now and then. I love to read mystery and would never be able to write it. I could probably come up with some good ideas, but it's the details that would get me. It isn't as easy as it seems to some.
    I just think it is wonderful that you have finished and submitted!!!

    ReplyDelete