Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

I'm excited today to welcome author Liz Flaherty to the blog. Liz, you are published with both Carina Press and your recent release is with Harbourlight Books. Would you give us a blurb of your latest release?

Early McGrath didn’t want freedom from her thirty-year marriage to Nash, but when it was forced upon her, she did the only thing she knew to do—she went home to the Ridge to reinvent herself.

Only what is someone who’s taken care of people her whole life supposed to do when no one needs her anymore? Even as the threads of her life unravel, she finds new ones— reconnecting with the church of her childhood, building the quilt shop that has been a long-time dream, and forging a new friendship with her former husband.

The definition of freedom changes when it’s combined with faith. Can Early and Nash find a Soft Place to Fall?

I love that cozy-looking cover. Please tell me a little bit about your journey to publication.

Well, it was bumpy and it took a really long time. My first book was a Kensington Precious Gems in 1998. It took four years to sell another book to a small publisher—one that promptly sold and the new owner didn’t want the book. Another year, another small publisher, who published the book but was…well, less than honest. Got the rights back. Sold the book again. The publisher closed its doors. Eventually, I sold a book to The Wild Rose Press and they also bought my poor, unwanted second book, Because of Joe. I’ve since published with Silhouette Special Edition, Carina, and Harbourlight.

How long have you been submitting your work to editors and/or agents?

Since the mid-1990s. I’m not sure what year. I’ve worked with three different agents, all of whom worked very hard to sell my books, but things just didn’t click. I’m without one now, and only time will tell whether I’m being smart about that or not.

How many years have you been writing?

Since I was in fifth grade, which is a really long time. For publication, since the 1980s, which I wrote a newspaper column. That was fun!

Do you have any advice for authors as yet unpublished?

I just answered that today on another interview, and I’m going to quote myself: Have a great time. Write every day. Don’t give up. Unless you’re not having that great time, then do give up.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received? Muriel Jensen sent me a letter once, and at the bottom of it, she wrote, “Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up.” I kept that note until the ink had faded so much you couldn’t read it anymore.

What are you working on now?

Steven’s story. If you remember him from One More Summer, you’re probably not surprised I’m writing the story. You’re probably also not surprised that it’s difficult!

Where can we find you on the web?

http://lizflaherty.com or http://wordwranglers.blogspot.com/ or, once a month, at an exciting new blog http://contemporaryromancecafe.com/

Thank you, Liz!

Thanks for having me, Maria!

23 comments:

  1. Maria, thanks so much for having me here today. I'm late stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds just like the kind of book I want to snuggle with on a cool, rainy day. Wish I had it here now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Have a great time. Write every day. Don’t give up. Unless you’re not having that great time, then do give up." - Liz Flaherty

    I can already see those words in future tomes of history, my friend. That last line could very well be the best advice I've ever heard in answer to "any advice for aspiring writers." Kudos!

    OH - and the book sounds perfectly wonderful, as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Delia. I've been so blessed with that great time!

      Delete
  4. Great post, ladies!I admire and understand your agent situation, Liz. I have asked myself that question many times...to find an agent, or not to find one, that is the question...With the changes in the publishing landscape the question rings louder and louder.

    "Don't give up..." rings out in all we do for Christ, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Donna. You're right--the question does ring louder all the time. Giving up isn't an option in either journey.

      Delete
  5. Hi Liz,

    I am anxious to read A Soft Place to Fall. It sounds really interesting something I can curl up under the covers with the tissue box beside me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Morgan. I hope you like it. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  6. Now that is a title, and a cover. Wow, sounds like you've had quite a ride. Congrats on not giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Proud of you, Liz. Don't think I tell you that enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, D--and I'm sure I don't tell you THAT enough. :-)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your story and words of wisdom, Liz! And best of luck with "Soft Place"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advice, Liz! Write every day and Don't Give Up! So glad you took that advice. "Soft Place to Fall" sounds like a wonderful story. Best of luck with it.
    Barb Bettis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb. Sometimes what I write every day isn't publishable--that's the bad part of that!

      Delete
  10. Good, sound advice. You shouldn't give up and you should always have fun with the process. I read a lot of Inspirationals and am trying my hand at writing my first historical one. I am getting this for my Kindle. :)

    Have a wonderful day,

    Cheryl G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cher. I hope it's a comfortable fit for you--I'm not sure yet I "belong." I hope you like Early's story, too.

      Delete
  11. Great post with lots of encouragement:) The book sounds wonderful. I love the idea if reinventing after 50. I'm smack in the middle and still working on it. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun, Jody. I can't say that often enough. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete